Securing a first, or even a subsequent job may seem like a daunting process, but if managed in a logical manner, each step of the process can be handled in an effective way and this can lead to a more successful outcome.
Looking at the overall job application process, it is possible to break it down into a number of different areas. Each of these can be accomplished separately and then the process does not seem so daunting.
Elements of the job application process
Although different people will have different views on the various elements of the job application process, the list below gives a useful summary.
- Select job type: It can sometimes take a little while to work out exactly what type of job you want, especially if it is your first one and you have no experience of what to expect.
- Short list employers: It can sometimes help to work out the sort of employers you may want to approach. Who undertakes the sort of job you might want, who is in a sector that interests you, are there any moral issues you may want to consider . .
- Prepare CV: The preparation of a CV should be carefully thought out. This is the way you will sell yourself. Look at what is current best practice, take advice, write it review it, and then use it. It will also form the basis for many submissions for on-line applications as well.
- Prepare on-line applications: Although some on-line submissions allow a CV to be attached and uploaded, others require a different format. It is always possible to use the CV as a basis for these applications, but some additional thought may also be required.
- At the interview: The interview is the place where you will meet your prospective employer and he will meet you. It is necessary to present yourself in your best light and make sure you impress. While you don’t want to be overawed by the event, you do want to make sure you do as well as you can. The way you present yourself will count for as much if not more than your actual qualifications. Also find out as much as you can about the company – will you want to work for them.
- Accepting the job: After the interview, you will no doubt hope for a job offer. When this comes, there are a few guidelines to make sure you accept in the right way and get off on the right foot.
- Starting the job: When the big day comes to start your job, there are a few useful hints and tips to make sure you start properly and make the best of your first few days.
Finding out how to apply for a job is not always as easy as it sounds. But a logical path through the process means that you can be well prepared at all stages and make the best of any opportunities that arise.
More about becoming an engineer:
Career planning What is electronic engineering? Job application PI Insurance How to work from home How to set up your own business
Return to Becoming an Engineer . . .